New York Cheesecake is a classic, rich and creamy dessert, that everyone will go crazy for.
This New York cheesecake has been a family favorite for years now. It's actually a very simple recipe to make. A buttery graham cracker crust topped off with a thick and creamy filling and finished off with a sweet-sour cream topping.
This is definitely one of my all-time favorite desserts. Perfect for the Holidays or any other special occasion.
How to make the filling
- Start by making sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. I just leave mine on the counter for about an hour.
- Using a hand mixer mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla just until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and mix just until combined. You don't want to over mix the filling.
How to prepare the crust
- Place your graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until fine. You can use pre-packaged graham crackers if you desire.
- In a small bowl mix the crumbs, cinnamon, and melted butter with a fork until combined.
- Place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of a springform pan.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the springform pan.
Bake the cheesecake
- Wrapping foil all around the outside is important.
- Lay 2 pieces of foil (about 16 inches) crisscrossed, then place the 9-inch springform pan in the center and crumple up the foil on the sides. Making it as tight as possible, to prevent any water from leaking through.
- The custard filling is delicate. Baking in a water bath provides a more even bake and keeps the cheesecake moist and helps prevent cracking.
- New York cheesecake is started in a very hot oven for a short period of time, then reduce the temperature to finish it off.
Looking for more delicious desserts?
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Ganache Glaze
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Spiced Rum Cake
- Classic Carrot Cake
- No-Bake Mini Chocolate Tarts
Rich and Creamy New York Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 pkg honey graham crackers or 2 cups pre- packaged graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 8- ounce pkgs cream cheese at room temperature only full fat
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 eggs
Sour Cream Topping
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees place a large baking dish (one the cheesecake can fit in) filled with about 1-inch water into the oven while it preheats.
- In a food processor add the graham crackers and pulse until fine. In a large bowl add the graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, and melted butter and mix with a fork until combined.
- Place a small piece of parchment paper into the 9-inch springform pan and add the crumb mixture and press gently. Take two large pieces of foil and lay them down making an X. Place the 9-inch springform pan in the center and wrap the pieces of foil around the outside bottom of the pan, to prevent water from leaking in while it's baking in the water bath.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, beat the room temperature cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, and vanilla for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy making sure to scrape down the sides.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs and add them a little at a time into the cream cheese mixture just until combined.
- Pour the filling into the crust and carefully place it into the water bath.
- Bake for 12 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 50-60 minutes, or until set but still a little wobbly in the center.
- Remove cheesecake and place on a wire cooling rack to cool for about 4 hours or overnight.
For the sour cream topping
- Combine the cup sour cream, sugar, and vanilla.
- Remove cheesecake from the springform pan. Spread the topping over the top, slice, and serve. Garnish with fresh fruit if desired.
- Makes 12 servings