Broccoli Salad is a simple classic recipe that serves as a great fast side dish for any party or potluck.
Every bite is full of great flavors and textures! Made with bacon, cranberries, sunflower seeds, cheddar cheese, and a homemade dressing, this is one of my favorite side dishes and it can be prepped in under fifteen minutes! Another quick and easy salad is my Thai Cucumber Salad.
Should I blanch the broccoli first?
Some people don't like the "raw" broccoli in the salad. If you don't care for raw broccoli you just need to blanch them first. The broccoli will still be firm enough for a crunch but will taste less raw.
How do I store Broccoli salad?
You can store the Broccoli Salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can I make Broccoli Salad ahead of time?
Yes! If making ahead of time, store the broccoli salad and dressing separately. Toss everything together about an hour before serving.
Tips for making broccoli salad
- Make sure your broccoli is cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Shred your own cheese, the pre-shredded packaged cheese has a coating on it to prevent sticking.
- You can cut small cubes of cheese instead of shredded.
- If you're watching your carbs leave out the dried cranberries.
- Swap out the sunflower seeds for chopped pecans, cashews, or even slivered almonds.
- If you like your broccoli salad with more sauce, just double the dressing recipe.
What pairs well with broccoli salad?
- Filet Mignon
- Sweet N Spicy Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Crispy Skillet Chicken Thighs
- Pan-Seared Garlic Rib Eye Steak
- Grilled Skirt Steak
Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- 7-8 cups broccoli florets cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 8 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- ¼ cup roasted and salted sunflower kernels
- ½ a red onion diced
For The Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the broccoli florets, cheese, cranberries, bacon, sunflower kernels, and onion in a large bowl, tossing to combine
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mix, tossing to combine
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and toss again before serving.