Non-bakers…here is your cake! You don’t have to bake to serve a wonderful dessert! This Chocolate wafer icebox cake is super easy and nobody needs to know just how easy. The crisp wafer cookies are layered with sweet whip cream which in turn softens the cookies to perfection as they chill overnight. The only difficult thing about this recipe is waiting!
Last month my mom and dad gave me an old recipe book that once belonged to my great grandma, although some of which is very difficult to read. This is one recipe I was able to at least understand most of, I just had to make a couple adjustments. I am now on a mission to try and decode more of the recipes. I don’t remember ever having had an icebox cake as a child but I am sure I did. It is rich and decadent and utterly delicious! It is a great go to cake for entertaining, your guest will be quite impressed.
These chocolate wafers are usually found in the cookie section or in the baking section by the graham crackers crusts, there are a couple different brands but either will work perfectly.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Sliced almonds
- Place the bowl and whisk of a stand mixer in the freezer for 10 minutes. If you are not using a stand mixer place the beaters of a hand held mixer in the freezer.
- In the chilled bowl beat the cream until soft peaks form. Add in the sugar and vanilla and continue mixing until stiff peaks form. DO NOT over beat
- Spread 1 tablespoon whipped cream onto each wafer, and repeat until you have used all the cookies. Then stand on edge on platter. Frost with remaining whip cream.
- In a small bowl add the chocolate chips and heat in the microwave on 30 second increments, stirring after each time until melted. Drizzle with chocolate and almonds, cover refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight. Cut into diagonal slices. Serves 6
- ***Note*** 6 cups of whipped topping (such as Cool Whip) can be substituted for whipped cream if desired. No need to add the sugar and vanilla.