Summer get togethers are in full swing by now, and these baked beans are one of those summertime side dishes that everybody loves. This recipe combines a little sweetness with a little spice the perfect combination. They are sure to be gobbled up at your next barbecue or potluck.
Sometimes when it’s to hot to turn on my oven I just throw the skillet on my gas grill, turns out perfect everytime. The beans stay warmer for longer being in the cast iron skillet, nobody likes cold beans.
- 2 28oz cans Pork N Beans
- ½ onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons hot sauce
- a few drop of liquid smoke
- 5-6 slices bacon cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat a large 12 in cast iron skillet on medium heat, add the bacon pieces and cook until partially done. Remove and set aside on a paper towel. Add the onions to the bacon fat and cook until soft about 2 minutes add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and liquid smoke until combined. Add the pork and beans and garlic and onions.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour ingredients into the warm cast iron skillet. Add the partially cooked bacon on top.
- Bake for 45 min or until thick and bubbly. Serve warm