Bacon-wrapped meatloaf is homemade comfort food, the whole family will love. The bacon adds so much flavor and the tangy ketchup glaze gives it the perfect zing.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Why this recipe works
This is the best meatloaf you'll ever try. So moist and flavorful and wrapped in 10 pieces of bacon love. Easy enough for a family weeknight meal or perfect for guests like my Salisbury Steak. And if you have any leftover meatloaf, it makes an amazing meatloaf sandwich.
Ingredients for this recipe
Ground beef-80-20 is the best choice for ground beef in this meatloaf mixture.
Bacon-Make sure you use thin-cut bacon thick cut will never get crispy/
BBQ Sauce- I like to use a good smokey flavored sauce like Kinders.
How to make this recipe
Step 1 add the ground beef all the ingredients except bacon into a large bowl.
Step 2 Gently mix the meat mixture together just until combined.
Step 3 Place the meatloaf on a baking sheet lined with a piece of parchment paper or foil and form it into a loaf shape.
Step 4 Place bacon strips over the meatloaf until covered.
Step 5 In a small bowl mix up the sauce ingredients until combined.
Step 6 Cover the meatloaf with 1/3 of the sauce
- Use ground beef that is 80%-85% lean to ensure a juicy meatloaf. You can also use 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 ground pork.
- Don't over-mix the mixture or it can become tough and dry.
- Use regular-cut bacon, the thick slices take much longer to cook and can become a little chewy.
- Let the meatloaf rest before slicing, so all the juices seep back into the meat.
Yes, you can prep this meatloaf the day before and cover it with foil until ready to bake. Place the meatloaf on the kitchen counter and let come to room temp for about 20 minutes. Then bake according to the recipe.
Yes, cook it according to the recipe, let it cool completely. Wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap followed but an aluminum foil.
To freeze the leftover sauce place it in a small ziplock freezer bag. remove all the sir and place in the freezer. Keep frozen for up to 4 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave, or the oven.
Mainly because you didn't use enough binding agents. the bread crumbs and eggs and in this recipe the parmesan cheese help hold everything together.
Meatloaf should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees. I always use a digital meat thermometer to check it.
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground beef 80-85% lean is best
- 1 cup Italian Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup or bbq sauce
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- 10 slices thin cut bacon
For the Sauce
- 1- cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Hot sauce to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl add ground beef, panko, milk, cheese, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, ketchup, eggs, and parsley. With hand mix just until combined, don't over mix.
- Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup). Form the mixture into a loaf shape.
- Lay bacon slices over the top and tuck the ends under the loaf.
- In a small bowl add the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and hot sauce and mix until combined.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the bacon with a spoon. Bake for 30 minutes on the center rack.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and spread another 1/3 of the sauce over the top. Bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with leftover sauce.