Green beans with bacon are delicious, topped with some smoky bacon, garlic, and caramelized shallots. A completely irresistible side dish!
The combination of freshly sauteed beans and crispy smoked bacon just can't be beat! An elegant side dish that’s perfect for a holiday meal or Sunday supper.
Can I use frozen green beans?
Fresh is best here but you could absolutely use frozen green beans in this recipe. Just make sure they are completely thawed and patted dry with a paper towel to remove excess water.
Tips for making green beans with bacon
- I cut these in half, sometimes thirds if they are long.
- I use thick-cut smokey bacon but pancetta is also a great choice.
- The water bath stops with the cooking process so the green beans are still a little firm.
- Use a 10-12 inch skillet.
- If you prefer firmer green beans cook closer to 4 minutes instead of 6 minutes.
Can I add a potato?
I have a delicious Slow Cooker Southern Green Beans version that I add diced potatoes into. The additional flavor and texture are so good!
Looking for more holiday recipes?
- Corn Pudding Casserole
- Chipotle Maple Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Mashed Potatoes
- Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots
- Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Green Beans with Bacon
- 1 1/2 pound fresh green beans trimmed and cut in half
- 5 slices thick cut bacon I use applewood or cherrywood bacon
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic cut into thin slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the green beans and simmer for about 4 minutes. Drain them into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Then drain into a colander.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat add bacon and cook until crisp, about 6 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add sliced shallots to the bacon grease, and saute for 3-4 minutes. Stirring frequently so it doesn't burn.
- Add drained green beans into the pan with the cooked bacon and minced garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes to warm through and cook the garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.