Cheesy tuna casserole is a comfort food that’s sure to become a new family favorite.
Comes together quickly using simple pantry ingredients. Loaded with egg noodles, tuna, peas, cheese and a creamy sauce, with a crunchy buttery Ritz cracker topping.
Can I use chicken instead?
Of course, you can replace the tuna with canned chicken, or even shredded chicken.
Tips for making cheesy tuna casserole
- I used cream of chicken soup, but you could also use cream of celery or cream of mushroom.
- We like peas in this dish. But you can add whatever veggies you have and it will be delicious.
- Mayonnaise or sour cream add an extra creaminess to the casserole.
- I make the casserole all in one oven proof skillet. If you don’t have an oven safe skillet just use a 9×13 baking dish.
We like crushed Ritz crackers for the topping, you could also use potato chips, panko bread crumbs or even a different flavor of cracker.
More casserole recipes you might like!
- 3 cups dry egg noodles (about 4 cups cooked)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can tuna drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Cook egg noodles 1 minute shy of al dente, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine crushed Ritz crackers, parmesan cheese and melted butter mix until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a 12 inch oven safe skillet on medium heat, melt butter, add onions celery and cook until soft about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook another minute.
- Reduce heat to low. Add in drained tuna, salt, pepper, cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, and milk to the skillet and mix until combined.
- Mix in cheddar cheese, and fold in pasta and peas.
- Sprinkle cracker topping over the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly
You can substitute cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup.
Sour cream cand be used instead of mayo
Amount Per Serving Calories 608Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 112mgSodium 1214mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 25g