Four Bean Salad is a perfect side dish for those hot summer grilling nights! This zesty bean salad is a great summer side dish or potluck favorite, a colorful mix of canned beans tossed with a sweet-tangy dressing!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
This homemade dressing is so easy and adjustable, if you want it a little less tangy just add more sugar. I used canned green beans but you could use fresh if you want. Make this over the weekend and enjoy it all week long! It's a great dish that only gets better the longer it sits.
Why this recipe works
This classic bean salad is a refreshing and easy side dish, that can be made ahead of time. Perfect for any barbecue or potluck like my Grilled Shrimp Cobb Salad. It makes a great side dish to almost any meal like my Grilled Teriyaki Steak, or my Grilled Soy Sauce Chicken.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
- Sugar- You can add more or less according to your taste.
- Apple cider vinegar-White vinegar can be used in a pinch.
- Green Beans-Canned or fresh works here.
- Yellow Wax Beans-If you can't find these just use another can of green beans.
- Kidney beans-Both dark red kidney beans and light red are fine.
- Garbanzo beans-Also is known as chickpeas and a great addition to this salad.
- Red Onions- Or white onions if you prefer.
- Pimentos- Or a finely diced red bell pepper.
How to make this Four Bean Salad
- Step 1-In a small bowl mix all the dressing ingredients together until combined.
- Step 2-Add the drained beans and other ingredients to a large salad bowl.
- Step 3-Toss the bean mixture with the zesty dressing.
- Step 4-Chill and serve!
- This salad is even better the next day when all the flavors have melded together.
- Top with some fresh dill or fresh basil instead of fresh parsley.
I prefer canned beans for this salad. But you can use fresh you will just have to blanch them first to soften them up. Just lightly boil them in water until desired tenderness. Then add them to ice water to stop the cooking process.
You can really use just about any beans, so feel free to swap out for cannellini beans, lima beans, pinto beans, or even black beans.
Yes, kidney beans and garbanzo beans are packed in a thick liquid that I always advise to rise off. Just place in a colander and rinse with cold water.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Marinated Four Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1- 14.5 oz can red kidney beans
- 1- 14.5 oz can garbanzo beans
- 1- 15 oz can green beans
- 1- 15 oz can wax beans
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1- 2 oz jar diced pimentos
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a small bowl whisk together sugar, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- Drain and rinse all the canned beans and pimentos and place them in a large bowl. Add onion, parsley, and dressing and mix until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.