Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken is an easy recipe that the whole family will love! The honey garlic sauce is deliciously sweet and savory and only requires a few simple pantry ingredients.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Slow cooker chicken recipes are always a hit with my family like my easy recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean Stew or Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy! Serve it over a bed of white rice or Creamy Mashed Potatoes and some.
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken thighs, but skinless bone-in chicken thighs will work as well.
- Ginger: I prefer to grate my own fresh ginger using a zester.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic is always best!
- Soy sauce: Use low-sodium soy sauce.
- Honey: For the added sweetness. You can use pure maple syrup in a pinch.
- Brown sugar: Either dark or light works fine.
- Red pepper flakes: This is optional but we love the little kick it adds.
How to make honey garlic chicken
- Step 1: Place the boneless thighs into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Step 2: In a small bowl mix together the sauce ingredients, and pour over the chicken.
- Step 3: Once the chicken is done remove it onto a lined baking sheet.
- Step 4: Whisk the cornstarch slurry into a small bowl.
- Step 5: Whisk the slurry into the sauce and simmer on medium-high heat until thickened.
- Step 6: Spread a little sauce over the top of each piece of chicken.
- Step 7: Place chicken under the broiler to caramelize just a bit.
- Step 8: Place chicken back into the thickened sauce and serve, sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
Why this recipe works
Like most crockpot recipes there is very little prep time in this simple recipe. Since it uses boneless chicken thighs it cooks much faster which makes it a perfect dinner for those busy weeknights. The depth of flavor in these crock pot chicken thighs is incredible, and they stay super moist and flavorful!
How to serve honey garlic chicken
I like to serve this on a bed of white rice or Creamy Mashed Potatoes and a vegetable.
How to store and reheat
Store any leftovers of this honey garlic chicken recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave until heated through.
- You don't have to broil the chicken at the end but it really does add more color and make the chicken more appealing.
- You will need at least a 6qt slow cooker, I love this one!
- All crockpots cook a little differently and times might fluctuate a bit.
We prefer chicken thighs over chicken breast for this honey garlic chicken recipe because dark meat is more moist and flavorful. But you can certainly use boneless skinless chicken breasts or try my Creamy Skillet Chicken. Watch the cooking time and be careful not to overcook them or they will become dry! Make sure to use a meat thermometer to know when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Sure can! Salt and pepper the chicken and add a little olive oil to a hot skillet and add the chicken, you may have to cook it in batches. Cook flipping the chicken over about halfway through until chicken is cooked and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken to a plate. Add the sauce ingredients into the skillet with the cornstarch slurry and bring to a low boil stirring every so often until thickened. Add the chicken back into the sauce, simmer another minute or two to heat the chicken through and sprinkle with diced green onions and serve.
Place the juicy chicken thighs with some honey garlic sauce in a ziplock freezer bag or airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months, and thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
You can, or even chicken legs but the liquid may have a little more fat in it from the chicken skin. Keep in mind the cooking time may need to be adjusted bone-in chicken takes a little longer. I would definitely recommend putting the chicken under the broiler at the end to crisp up the skin like my Slow Cooker Lemon Honey Chicken and Vegetables!
Adding the cornstarch slurry to the sauce allows the sauce to thicken. You can also pour the sauce and slurry mixture into a saucepan and bring to a simmer until thickened.
Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
- 6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger fresh grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions
- Add the chicken thighs to the
- In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, ketchup, honey, sugar, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if you're adding them.
- Pour over the top of the chicken and toss to coat.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours *see notes
- When the chicken is done remove the chicken to a foiled-lined baking sheet. Heat up the broiler.
- Heat a saucepan on medium high heat and pour the sauce in. In a small dish whisk together the cornstarch and water. Then whisk the cornstarch slurry into the sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and let simmer until thickened whisking so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the sauce is thickened spread a tablespoon on top of each piece and place the chicken under the broiler for 3-4 minutes to get some color. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- 8. Serve with the extra sauce and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.