Homemade green bean casserole is a classic side dish that goes with almost any meal. It is easy to make and everyone loves it! This version uses fresh onions, bacon, and cheese to kick it up a notch! This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Nothing brings the family together like food! Every year for major holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving, I whip up this deliciously creamy and cheesy green bean casserole. It’s the perfect side dish for any meal, but I think it makes the perfect side dish for my Thanksgiving turkey.
Let's take a quick look at the ingredients
• Green beans
• Yellow onion
• Garlic cloves
• Fresh mushrooms
• Can of cream of mushroom soup:
• Chicken broth
• Shredded cheese
• French's Fried Onions
Scroll down to the bottom for the full printable recipe card!
How to make homemade green bean casserole
Step 1: Fry Your Bacon In a large skillet, fry your bacon pieces until crispy.
Step 2: Add the Veggies Add the diced yellow onion to the skillet and cook until translucent. Then, add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
Step 3: Add Butter and Flour Add the butter and flour to the same skillet cooking on medium heat until the flour changes color. Usually about 5 minutes.
Step 4: Add Cheese, Soup, and Broth Stir in your cheeses, mushroom soup, and chicken bone broth. Stir continuously to combine. Then, mix in black pepper and thyme.
Step 5: Add the Green Beans Finally, add the green beans to your mixture and toss well.
Step 6: Top and Bake Pour your mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle with French's Fried Onions evenly over the top. Place it in the oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Serve and Enjoy!
Green Bean Casserole Tips and Tricks
1. Add more French Fried onions. You can mix in some of the fried onions if you want it a little more crunchy.
2. If the onions are cooking too fast on the top, you can cover your casserole with foil during the last few minutes.
3. Make sure the dish is bubbling. Before you take out your casserole, you’ll want it to be bubbling.
Can I Use Canned Green Beans?
Fresh green beans are always better than canned green beans. However, if you want to use canned beans, you can. You’ll want to use two cans of green beans, drained. I prefer to use french cut canned green beans.
How Do I Store Green Bean Casserole?
Leftover green bean casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for about 4 days. Be sure the dish has completely cooled, cover it with foil, and place it in the refrigerator.
Can Green Bean Casserole Be Frozen?
Absolutely! Wrap it with foil and plastic wrap before cooking it. You will also want to leave the fried onions off until you plan to eat it. You can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I Make it In Advance?
If you plan to make green bean casserole in advance, you’ll want to hold the French’s Fried Onion topping until you are ready to cook it. Go through the steps above and bake it without the topping. Allow it to cool, cover it, and put it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat your casserole, let it come to room temperature, add the onion topping, and bake it until it’s bubbly.
Main Dish Suggestions
Can Homemade Green Bean Casserole Be Made in the Crock-Pot?
Yes! You absolutely can make green bean casserole in the Crock-Pot. It's actually fairly simple and can save the oven space for other parts of the meal. Follow the instructions, but instead of putting the casserole into a dish, pour it into your Crock-Pot. Turn it on high for 3 hours to cook. Add the fried onions and then cook again for another hour or until bubbly and heated through. This is also a great recipe for Crock-Pot Green Bean Casserole.
Other Side Dishes to Try
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- 1-1/2 lb Green Beans trimmed
- 3 Slices Bacon chopped
- ½ Cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 12 oz Fresh Mushrooms chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 3 Tablespoons Flour All Purpose
- 1 10oz Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Cup Chicken Bone Broth
- ½ Cup Mozzarella shredded
- ½ Cup Parmesan shredded
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper freshly ground
- ½ Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- 6 oz French Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Take Green Beans and slice in half. Steam in a steaming basket for 10 minutes to almost cooked.
- In a large 12” Skillet fry the bacon pieces until crispy.
- Add the diced yellow onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.
- Remove this mixture to a plate and set it aside.
- Add the butter and flour to the same skillet and cook on medium heat until the flour starts to change color. About 5 minutes.
- Add the cheeses, mushroom soup, and bone broth, On the same medium heat continuously stirring to combine.
- Add the mushroom mixture back with the black pepper and thyme and stir to combine.
- Last, add the green beans and toss until well mixed.
- Add this mixture to a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle the French fried onions evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, uncovered. If you feel the onions are cooking too much on top place a piece of foil over them during the last few minutes. You’ll want the dish to be bubbling when you take it out.