Garlic Alfredo Cheese Tortellini is quick and easy and comes together in under 30 minutes. Tender pasta smothered in a rich homemade creamy sauce has a rich and savory flavor that is sure to delight your taste buds.
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
Perfect for a comfort food craving the whole family will love. This delicious pasta is filled with a blend of melted cheese and garlicky Alfredo sauce, making every bite an explosion of flavor. It can be the star of a meal with a simple salad and some of my No-Knead Artisan Bread or an amazing side dish to my Filet Mignon or my Crispy Skillet Chicken Thighs.
Why this recipe works
Garlic Alfredo cheese tortellini is a simple weeknight meal that can be made in just a few easy steps like my Fettuccine Alfredo. It's an easy pasta recipe that's perfect for any occasion whether it's a cozy night in or a dinner party with friends. It's a tasty and flavorful dish that is sure to satisfy your pasta cravings like my Chicken Alfredo Lasagna.
- Tortellini: Fresh tortellini is located in the refrigerated section of your grocery store and usually has a few different filling options, any will work.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is more flavorful than garlic powder or pre-minced garlic.
- Flour: All-purpose flour
- Cream: Heavy whipping cream
- Milk: Whole milk or 2% will work here.
- Parmesan cheese: Use freshly grated parmesan cheese not the stuff in the green can.
How to make this recipe
- Step 1: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta to al dente.
- Step 2: Drain the pasta in a colander.
- Step 3: Heat a large skillet on medium-low heat melt butter and add in the garlic to the melted butter and sauté.
- Step 4: Add in the flour and stir until combined for a couple of minutes.
- Step 5: Add in the heavy cream and milk and stir until combined, let simmer until thickened.
- Step 6: Remove from the heat and add the grated parmesan cheese.
- Step 7: Whisk the cheese in until creamy.
- Step 8: Fold the cooked tortellini into the cheese sauce until combined.
- Don't overcook the tortellini, you want it to be al dente, it will continue to cook a bit more in the sauce.
- Add in some leftover chicken or steamed broccoli for a hearty pasta recipe.
- Serve immediately: Garlic Alfredo cheese tortellini is best served immediately after cooking. The longer it sits, the more the sauce will thicken and the tortellini will become soggy.
Store this tortellini Alfredo recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
You can use dry pasta instead of fresh pasta, I recommend cooking about 3 cups of dry pasta, which will allow you to still have a creamy cheesy sauce.
Ravioli are usually square or round with a flat underside, tortellini are ring-shaped. Both can be filled with the same type of cheese filling like ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese, and used interchangeably in recipes.
Garlic Alfredo Cheese Tortellini
- 20 ounce pkg refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Boil tortellini according to package directions.
- Heat a skillet on medium low and add butter, garlic and whisk and cook until fragrant
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk until it becomes a paste.
- Slowly add in cream and milk and whisk until combined, whisk in Parmesan and salt and pepper. Bring to a low simmer until thickened about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in pasta. Garnish with fresh parsley and more Parmesan cheese if desired