These cheesecake brownies have a chocolate brownie base with chocolate chips topped with a cheesecake layer and brownie swirl. Every fudgy bite is drool-worthy and always gets rave reviews!!
We may earn a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Read our disclosure policy here.
These amazing cream cheese brownies are definitely better than any box mix! Chocolate desserts are my favorite indulgence like my Zucchini Brownies! If you love this cheesecake brownie recipe check out my Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake, Chocolate Earthquake Cake, Chocolate Cream Pie, and Chocolate Zucchini Bread!
Why this recipe works
This homemade cheesecake brownie recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. These are the richest most decadent brownies, I love the add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top so each bite is heavenly.
Ingredients for this recipe
Flour-All purpose flour works for this recipe.
Butter- I use unsalted butter.
Milk-We used whole milk, but 2% would also work.
Chocolate chips- Semisweet is what I used but dark chocolate can also be used.
Cream cheese- Use full fat and room temperature cream cheese.
Sour cream-You can substitute with whole fat plain greek yogurt.
How to make cheesecake brownies
Step 1-Add flour cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder to a large bowl.
Step 2-Mix until combined.
Step 3-Using a hand mixer beat the butter, and sugar until fluffy.
Step 4-Add in the eggs, milk, and vanilla and beat just until combined.
Step 5- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixture
Step 6- Remove 1/3 cup of the batter and set aside.
Step 7- Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 8-Line the baking dish or pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Step 9-Add the cheesecake filling ingredients to a medium bowl and beat until combined.
Step 10- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the top of the brownie batter.
Step 11- Add dollops of the reserved brownie batter to the cheesecake topping.
Step 12- Using a toothpick or skewer make swirls throughout and bake.
- Line the bottom of a square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, this helps remove the cheesecake brownies and easier to cut.
- Measure your flour correctly- The best way to prevent to much flour is to spoon your flour into the measuring cup and level off the top with a knife.
- Use a toothpick or a butter knife to swirl the reserved brownie batter together with the creamy cheesecake layer.
- For nice clean cuts wipe the knife in between cuts.
Keep the dollops of brownie batter as evenly sized and spaced as possible. You want a nice even spread across the top of the cheesecake batter. Use a toothpick, knife tip, or even a fork to make short swirl movements with the dollops of extra brownie batter.
• Top the brownies with a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce, and some whipped cream.
• You can add to these fudgy brownies by adding some chocolate chips, sprinkles, or nuts on top of the cheesecake swirl.
• Create an additional layer to the brownies by adding extra chocolate chips or nuts to the top of the brownie batter before topping with the cheesecake mixture.
• Add ½ teaspoon of espresso powder to enhance the chocolate flavor! Mix it in with the other dry ingredients in step 2.
Yep, wrap each one in plastic, then place them in a ziplock freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
More of my favorite desserts
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounce pkg of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- For the cheesecake filling
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a 9 x 9 baking pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper, and then coat the parchment paper with non-stick spray as well. Set aside for now.
- 2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder until completely combined.
- 3. Use a standing or hand mixer to beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 4. Add in the eggs, milk, and vanilla and beat them together at a low speed. It’s OK if the batter is a little lumpy.
- 5. While beating at medium speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture, just until combined. The batter will be thick. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 6. Separate out ⅓ cup of batter and set aside.
- 7. Fold the chocolate chips into the brownie batter.
- 8. Spread the batter into the 9x9 prepared baking pan and even it out with a rubber spatula. Set aside for now.
- Cheesecake filling
- 9. Prepare the cheesecake layer by beating together the sugar and cream cheese until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- 10. Mix in the sour cream and egg and beat on low until the batter is smooth.
- 11. Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie layer and even out the top with a rubber spatula.
- 12. Using 1/2 tablespoon scoops of the reserved batter, dollop the reserved brownie batter across the cheesecake layer. Use a toothpick or skewer to create swirls with the brownie batter.
- 13. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the edge of the cheesecake layer is set but the center jiggles slightly.
- 14. Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack for the brownies to cool for 30 minutes. Then move the brownies (in the pan) to the refrigerator to fully set for about two hours.
This can also be made in an 8 x 8 baking pan. If you do, the center of the brownies will be a more “gooey”
brownie than if made in a 9 x 9 pan.
Line the bottom of a square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, this helps remove the brownies and easier to cut.
Measure your flour correctly- The best way to prevent too much flour is to spoon your flour into the measuring cup and level off the top with a knife.
Use a toothpick or a butter knife to swirl the reserved brownie batter together with the creamy cheesecake layer.
For nice clean cuts wipe the knife in between cuts.
Amount Per Serving Calories 482Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 128mgSodium 317mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 2gSugar 40gProtein 7g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on butteryourbiscuit.com should only be used as a general guideline.